Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Wash, rinse, repeat ...

The one thing that can get a little old when leaving is telling your "story" to everyone over and over again. Now, I am definitely one who loves to tell a story, so that isn't the problem. The problem is the perfectionist in me. Each time I tell the story just isn't quite as good as the time before. However, maybe I can actually perfect it through this blog, so here it goes:

I suppose my decision to leave stems all the way back to the summer of 2003. Things just weren't the same for me when the company cancelled the set-top box project I was working on. I loved that project. Not only did the computer technology interest me, but I really enjoyed the whole cable industry. I took it upon myself to become the cable TV expert in the group (and I don't mean knowing the programming schedules of all the old 80's sitcom reruns). I bought 2 books and read them cover to cover: OpenCable Architecture and Modern Cable Television Technology. Together, roughly 1,200 pages of informational bliss. I loved it and constantly searched for news and developments in the industry. Needless to say, such OCD behavior was recognized by the company and rewarded as I received my first (and only) promotion. However, it was all downhill from there.

From there I had a short-lived residence on a project involving disconnected portlets. That lasted 2 months. Then I got placed on the project I had been on for the past 2 years. I won't go into specifics about that project, but let's just say that it was the "nail in the coffin" for my career. For 2 years, I drove to my 5:45am morning workouts thinking, "what else could I possibly do with my life?" It was a solid 10 minutes of career reflection 4 times a week, but I came up with nothing.

Last September, it became apparent the 2-year long project was dying a slow death. Some involved were clinging on to hope. Others cut the cord and bailed out as they saw what was coming. I decided to do something in between and requested a temporary (5 week) job opportunity helping write a technical publication. The topic of the publication was a technology into which I was interested in transitioning once my current project was finally canned. I figured I would position myself as a natural candidate to move into a position with my experience from the publication. After all, this is how "the game" is played, right?

BIG Problem: The power of a (bad) manager. Naturally, a good manager who knows where the road is headed would give their employees opportunities to better themselves and get themselves out of the upcoming debacle. Well, not my manager. He sat on my request for participation for at least 2 weeks and wanted to deny me the opportunity because he said he was worried "my skills might be needed" during that time. Yeah, right! So, I did what any determined Generation X employee would do - I went to his manager and got her approval instead! Come to find out later, that was a move that caused him to actually respect me more than what he had. It is sad when a leader only respects his followers based on what political clout they carry or what political moves they are willing to make.

Coming next time ...
The publication experience which led to "The Revelation"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home